Sunday 6 January 2013

Millennium Falcon - 1/144 Fine Molds (1)

Back in December 2012, while I was waiting for the paint to dry on the Miku BMW, I was thinking of something simple to work on, one that doesn't take as long as the Miku BMW. (took me almost 5 months to finish) So from the depths of my model pile, I pulled this kit out.....


The 1/144 Millennium Falcon from Fine molds. I do have to say this is probably the best Falcon kit out there. Yes, Fine Molds has a 1/72 kit of the Falcon as well, more detailed, but it has like 10 times more parts and costs a lot more. And if you have bought the Star Wars candy toys from F-Toys, this Falcon will look great beside them. They're the same scale!  (I think that's why Fine Molds release this 1/144 kit)

Anyway back to the build, again like the BMW, by the time I am writing this blog, the kit is already completed. I finished this one in a record breaking time though...Just ONE month! At least it's a personal record.

So after a quite look, there isn't much to work with, the top and bottom half is molded in 2 seperate pieces, nothing dramatic here..

The only major complain I have with this kit are the turrets, Fine Molds has sealed the turret housing and put kind of make a "panel" on it, not quite what the orginal looks like. With the windows put on it looks even worse...

So 2 things have to be done, remove the panels and built the housing back into the turrets. In order to find the correct size for the housing, I printed a paper template with different sizes to see which one fits best:

Once the right size is chosen, I can build my housing around the template, I used 0.3mm plastic board so I can see through to the template even when I put the board on top.

And with a bit of left over materials, I built the seats as well:

Now putting everything back on...looks much better! Though in the end the turret will cover most of it...

A last bit of extra: a small strip on the front tip piece...It looks a bit strange if it's all flat...

That's all for the build, it's a pretty easy but detailed kit, so nothing more needs to be done. (And I want to finish it quick!) Next round will be the painting and weathering.


No comments:

Post a Comment