Sunday 9 December 2012

BMW Z4 GT3 Miku Hatsune - 1/24 Fujimi (6)

Finally it's the paint job, personally I think this is the hardest part, it took me 3 weeks all together just to put the paint and decals on, and polish to mirror-like surface.

The base paint is simple, White. I had also paint the black rims around the windows first.



From what I saw online, people have been saying the Miku decal and the silver strip does not match perfectly, there is some overlapping. My first thought is: how much is overlapped? Small enough so it can be moved slightly to align? Or have to be trimmed completely? So I photocopied the decal and give it a try:


Turns out the overlapping part is a bit more than I thought.....


There are 2 options now: One is to spray the silver stripe first, then trim the decal to fit. I wasn't too confident with trimming the decal, so I go for the second option, which is...

Put the decal on first:

Then paint the silver decal! Here's the rear two stripes at work:

Applying them on, looks good, Thankfully!

Next is the side decal. One problem here is the "hole" at the bottom corner, it's quite a curvy one, and Fujimi's decals are a bit thick, so once it dries up, even after using softener, disaster struck......



Luckily there are bits and pieces left from the decal. Here it's the extra Miku for the bonnet:

and the end result, looks pretty good!

The extra Miku decal is really the savior of the kit, it provides just enough to fix here and there. Smart thinking Fujimi!

I'll save some more on decals for next time.....


2 comments:

  1. Good job! I wonder what silver paint did you use for the stripes? The silver stripes provided in the kit are horrible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      It's Mr Color's No.8 Silver, mixed with a few drops of clear blue and red.
      It's actually the leftover paint from the Mercedes F1 kit I built before.

      Delete