Sunday 16 December 2012

BMW Z4 GT3 Miku Hatsune - 1/24 Fujimi (7)

Still on the decals, my last entry was like a week ago, but this has actually taken me 2 weeks to do it. (Somewhere in late October 2012, about 4 months into the build)


The carbon fiber decals that came with the kit doesn't look close to the real thing, so I used some after market decal. For the front side grill, I just cut a small piece and apply it on, then trim it afterwards.

...and how it looks after I trimmed it. The other side wasn't so lucky, it too 2 tries before i got it right. 

Painting the windows, nothing special here, pretty direct work. The rounds edges are covered using masking solution, works better than cutting a round corner on the masking tape. 

A coat of clear coat after applying the decals, and bit of polish (using Tamiya's compound: coarse, fine, then finish) and it's done.

For the polishing of the body, I tried Mr Hobby's compound. Compared with Tamiya's, they are a bit more liquid~y. Personally I'm not quite used to it, still the finish looks good. 

The front wing, with carbon fiber decal and polished. 

Side mirrors:

and head lamps, I painted the silver part on the lamp lid instead of using the decal provided, to keep it consistent with the silver stripes on the body.

Near the end of polishing, and this with where disaster strikes. I was painting the 2 black bits behind the wheel, I masked it, painted it, and when I rip off the mask, so does some of the sponsor decals. (You notice the "ZENRIN" decal missing here? The other side is worse......4 more there) The polishing has thinned the clear coat to a point where it cannot protect the decals. Note to self, next time should get a few more coats.

Anyway, this means I have to get another kit if I want the decals back, but since I've bought the Red Bull decals, I'll need another kit, so.....it's kind of a win-win situation. (The lose is on my wallet though....)

And while waiting for the new kit to arrive, I fitted the rear mesh and exhaust to the rear.


The PE parts also include the wind wipers. The base bit is from the kit, the PE included it as well but they are just 2 small to work with. 

and the tires, template from Turner Model Factory.


So basically the whole kit is complete, altogether it took 4.5 months. Next time I will post the photos of the finish product. 


No comments:

Post a Comment